Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Emhar 1/72nd Mark-IV


Here's Emhar's 1/72nd scale British Mark-IV tank from the Great War. It's a mixed bag, frankly. I liked the surface detail, which was heavy on rivets and bolt heads. The tracks were workable, being three-part things made out of some kind of odd plastic that was sort of halfway between vinyl and styrene, but they were easy to form to the contours of the tank and secure with super glue. The decals were excellent - thin, opaque, and highly responsive to Micro-Sol (note the way the F56 decal settled down over the rivet heads).

On the less than brilliant side, the rails on the top of the tank (meant to carry unditching beams up and over the exhausts and top clutter, I think) were murder. The instructions are not clear on where they fit, the parts themselves are brittle and easily broken, and in the end I just sat and stared at the tank for a while and thought "If I were designing this, how would I fit the rails?" I also thought the machine gun barrels were very over-scale, but chose not to mess with them.

I painted the tank medium green and drybrushed it with my standby for such things, Model Master "Radome Tan", and then stabbed on a lot of dark brown craft paint wherever the tracks might have carried fresh mud.

In the end - nice surface detail, acceptable fit, excellent decals, and except for the unditching rails, a quick and easy build. The main problem is the difficulty in fitting the rails.

1 comment:

Scottie said...

Amazing what you find when you're plodding around the internet. Was this the same tank used by the Germans in the movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"? If you don't know, it doesn't matter, but I was unaware that this was a British tank.