Sunday, June 22, 2008

Academy 1/144th B-47E and B-58A

I just finished this pair of small-scale SAC nuclear bombers today. I picked them mostly because they looked like they would be fairly easy to assemble and paint, which is mostly true. The kits are pretty good, with restrained recessed panel lines and even, in the case of the B-58, a hint of interior detail, visible only if you pose the clamshell canopies open, which I did.

The decals were pretty well printed and reasonably tough, but they didn't stick worth beans unless Micro-Sol was applied, in which case they stuck too well! Not up to Academy's usual standards, were the decals, but I only fatally ruined one, a black wing walk stripe on the Hustler.

I painted them "AMC Sterling Silver" from the Testors two-part lacquer collection, paint really intended for model cars, but the silver works pretty well for polished aluminum too. It's a hair too sparkly and ends up looking a bit grainy, but under regular room lights it looks good, and it dries quickly and it's tough. I've yet to damage it with handling, and that's an excellent quality for models that I basically built while sitting in bed and resting my chest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in the process of building a neuport 17...french wwi fighter. man what a disaster. the instructions leave parts of peices out....you have to look at the box....the win struts are a mess. the back span is a full centimoeter too short and i followed the directions! this plane wouldnt have got off the ground. parts too long...vague instructions...it goes on. i have one other model from acadamy...but it will be my last