Friday, March 20, 2009

Representational Collections

I've been thinking a lot about I was call representational collections, an attempt to capture an entire nation's aviation effort in a single collection. One of the easiest ones to think about is the classical "Luftwaffe in Ten Models" collection. If someone was going to pay you to select and build ten models that would best capture the scope and sweep of the Luftwaffe in World War Two, what would they be? And perhaps as interesting, what famous airplanes would you leave off?

It turns out that it's hard to whittle the Luftwaffe list down to just ten airplanes. I can usually come up with good arguments for at least fifteen, but in any event, here are my representational model lists.

LUFTWAFFE, WWII
Bf-109E
Me-109G
Fw-190A
Ju-88A
He-111
Do-217E
Ju-87G
Me-262
Me-110G
Ju-52/3M

ROYAL AIR FORCE, WWII
Spitfire I
Spitfire IX
Hurricane IIC
Lancaster
Halifax
Mosquito B
Mosquito FB
Beaufighter
Wellington
Meteor

UNITED STATES ARMY AIR FORCE, WWII
P-38 Lightning
P-40E Warhawk
P-47D Thunderbolt
P-51D Mustang
B-17G Flying Fortress
B-24J Liberator
A-20G Havoc
B-25J Mitchell
C-47 Skytrain/Dakota
B-29 Superfortress

That's my guess, anyway.

1 comment:

Jerry Horne said...

I like your work. Do you give pointers ?