Monday, March 8, 2010

That Explains That

Yeah, but where's Waldo?

A view of my workbench, taken just yesterday. The dinosaur, Star Wars models (note the tiny snowspeeders on the orange things that will become their bases eventually - Gatorade caps, by the way - and the AT-AT) and the stagecoach are fairly old projects that just generally clutter up my workbench without ever being finished. (To paraphrase a magnificent line from the novel The Coffee Trader by David Liss, "they are the hard turd in the ass of my forward progress".)

Also perhaps worth mentioning is the PM Models Su-15TM Flagon on top of the stagecoach. Not a great model, not up to your Hasegawa or later Revell-Germany standards, but where else are you going to find an Su-15, and for that low a price?

But what I really wanted to show off was the sudden profusion of small-scale tank transporters. It's like a regular cancer. One minute I had no tank transporters, and all of a sudden, I've got four. They aren't clearly visible in the photograph, but they are, from front to back, an Airfix 1/76th Scammel, an Academy 1/72nd "Dragon Wagon", a Revell-Germany 1/76th M19, and a Revell-Germany Faun Elefant (with its proposed load, a Revell-Germany Leopard 2A5, in place). The Dragon Wagon and the Elefant are very nice kits, by the way, as is the Leopard 2A5, but pay attention to the instructions - the kit includes the turret and track shields suitable for both a 2A4 and a 2A5, and they aren't impossible to confuse. Ask me how I know. That's what I get for watching The Mummy while building it, I guess.

So whatever else I was working on, like the Skybow WC63, got pushed back by this sudden eruption of tank transporters. And I'm not even done; I have to build loads for three of them, probably an A34 Comet for the Scammel, an M4A3(76)W for the Dragon Wagon, and probably an M7 Priest for the M19. And the thought of hand-painting that NATO three-color scheme on the Elefant and the Leopard 2A5? Brrr. It scares me. Three-color schemes on small-scale armor aren't exactly my cup of tea, but at least the green color was easy.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I buy plastic containers like sold in crafts stores or in the tupperware storage area and put builds in there as being worked on. subassempblies are in one place, also they have deep sides, hard to lose things from them.