Sunday, June 13, 2010

Yes Eye Can't

Ugh!

I haven't done much modeling for the last couple of weeks. Almost none at all. And this is why. I developed shingles on my face which, unluckily enough, involved my right eye. I can force my eye to open if I really have to, but it hurts to do so and I suffer from such appalling double vision when I do that I prefer to keep it closed. It's anyone's guess when this will clear up - it's been two weeks and though it hurts less, it remains uncomfortable.

Worse, I have no binocular vision and basically can't use a knife or a paint brush.

I've had an old Revell Calypso model in my stockpile for years, and after watching some 1970s-era Cousteau specials on TV, I decided to dig it out and have a go. It's a nice kit, full of all sorts of interesting features - various kinds of boats and exploration submarines, some divers, a shark, a shark cage, a Hughes 300 helicopter. But my particular version of the kit proved to be in an extremely bad way. It was missing a major piece for the upper superstructure, and the plastic had become extremely brittle and unforgiving. After trying to piece the broken railings back together (no easy feat when you've only got one eye on-line) I finally had to conclude that the kit was beyond repair. I'd repair one broken part, only to have four others break in the meantime.

Fortunately I kept all the Calypso-specific parts, so I can buy the generic "ocean exploration ship" release and still have a Calypso without having to resort to eBay.

No comments: