Wednesday, June 1, 2011

AMT Payhauler






Another old soldier who wouldn't die - the AMT 1/24th scale International Payhauler 350 mining dump truck. I like mining trucks and mining equipment in general, and I wish there was more of it - but if a 50-ton mining truck occupied that much space on my bench for that long, imagine what a Caterpillar 979 would be like! I get the vapors just thinking about it.

It's a big kit, with a lot of parts, and it sucked up a sizable quantity of paint and cement, to say nothing of an awful lot of time spend sanding and scraping seams. And then, even after all that, when I was done I saw giant ejector pin marks on the upper lip of the dump box, and had to stick a couple of sacrificial boards to the upper edge to hide them. Why is it that such egregious flaws only become apparent after you've taken the pictures?

I started this giant quite a while ago, and worked on it in little fits and starts for probably two years. It spent so much time in storage I had to evict a colony of beetles from the wheels.

I tried to represent the banged-up appearance of the bed by painting it with a patchy coat of red-brown and then another patchier coat of steel. I don't know if it worked or not. And sharp-eyed viewers may note that I haven't installed the hydraulic dump ramps yet. I will - just as soon as I find them!

No comments: