Monday, August 20, 2012

Airfix Roland



This is the venerable Airfix 1/72nd scale Roland CII "Walfisch", which must be one of the easiest biplane models to build (no cabane struts!).  I'd been feeling stuck in the middle of too many difficult projects and thought I'd just "do some Airfix", to quote James May.  The Roland isn't a great kit - no interior, and the machine guns are at best vague approximations of armament - but it isn't bad.  The pilot and gunner figures are a little odd-shaped but not bad, and the fit is generally pretty good.  And the decals are quite well-behaved.  I built it over the span of a weekend, a task eased by the fact that I could brush-paint it with Model Master acrylic RLM65 and not have to worry about much else.

Another notch in my "Aeroplanes of the Great War" collection.  Notable gaps are now things like the Gotha, the Handley-Page 0/400, the DH4, and Spads.  I have no Spads.  Why is that?  Poor planning on my part, probably.

2 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

Nice! I'd love to get this in 1/32 scale. I wonder if Wingnut Wings make one.

William said...

Give them time, and I'm sure they will! I don't normally build 1/32nd scale airplanes, but the Wingnut Wings Gotha G.IV tempts me severely. Though maybe I should try the Roden Gotha G.III first... And learn to rig biplanes...