Sunday, July 13, 2008

3-Stage Ferry Rocket


Here's an in-process view of the 3-Stage Ferry Rocket. Not much to look at, is it? This is just the first stage, where block-sanding revealed deep and rather objectionable sink marks just above each of the assembly joints. I depleted my aged tube of auto body spot putty filling these low spots and tonight (theoretically) I'll block-sand everything again to see if I got everything.
My betters tell me that superglue and accelerator are the hot setup for this sort of work, and maybe they are, but I like the body putty method. It's slower and messier and smellier, but on the whole it just doesn't seem as ticklish. I've never glued my eye shut with body putty, but I have with superglue. 'Nuff said.
I was going to present a picture of the base, but I changed my mind. I painted it using the Whudigot Method. This is where you stand in front of your shelf of spray paint and mumble "Whudigot that's even close to the right color?" Tamiya Aircraft Grey stands in for concrete grey, and Marigold stands in for OSHA safety yellow. It's close enough.

No comments: