Sunday, April 11, 2010

Progress

I've made pretty good progress lately. It seems that the more I do, the more I feel like doing. My skills never seem to atrophy much when I take a break from modeling, but my willingness to tackle hardish projects certainly wanes. Consider the NATO three-tone camo on the Revell-Germany Faun tank transporter. Turns out that it wasn't as easy as making buttered toast, but it wasn't as bad as I had dreaded.

It helps that I'm getting used to acrylic paint. I'm an old enamel user from way back, and it takes a little while to get the hang of acrylic paint (mostly Tamiya in this case, but I also learning how to use Model Master acrylics).

In the last week I've finished the Dragon Wagon, the M19 tank transporter, the Scammel tank transporter, an A34 Comet, an M7 Priest, a Star Wars AT-AT and snowspeeders, the Trumpeter selbstanhanglerbangladesher whatever it is tank transporter, and a fairly unsatisfactory Sturmgeshutz IV, which mostly reminds me of why I don't like link-and-length tracks all that much. I also have the Faun and Leopard 2A5 right next to done.

But all of this work got enough enough room cleared out on my workbench for me to pick up the Lindberg Concord stagecoach and a brace of dinosaurs.

I should perhaps point that I don't really weather my armor models very hard. I know the "Spanish School" is all the rage with its profusion of paint chips, accumulated crud, rust and whatnot, but I rarely weather a model to that point. I guess I prefer a more gently-used appearance, or maybe I just lack the skill to pull off all that heavy Spanish style weathering.

But every now and then I weather a model very heavily, just for fun. But not often. But I have a Vietnam-era M551 Sheridan that, when I get around to building it, is liable to turn pretty messy.

1 comment:

-Warren Zoell said...

Love your work. Keep it up.