Monday, May 31, 2010

Zvezda Trireme


Work in progress on the crew of the 1/72nd scale Roman trireme. The trireme itself can be seen in the background - I epoxied the oars into their sockets and now they make a semi-musical twanging sound when strummed. Some people play the guitar or xylophone; I play the trireme.

In the foreground are some random Roman figures I pluckedo out of my collection to serve as "deck clutter". Mostly Revell, and the standard-bearer is particularly nice. You can read "SPQR" on his standard, and that aint bad for 1/72nd scale at all. I'm not in love with soft polyethylene figures, but small-scale Romans aren't exactly thick on the ground.

I'm experimenting with Krylon "Fusion" spray paint as a primer. Normally I just use whatever flat white I happen to have, but I heard that Fusion worked well. It goes on in agreeably thin coats and doesn't clog detail, and Delta Ceramcoat seems to stick to it pretty well. Further details as events warrant, but so far the portents are good.

No comments: