Saturday, November 20, 2010

Warriors Viking




Warriors 90mm Viking. Every now and then I get stuck or bored with a model I'm working on and when that happens, I often start a figure kit, because they're such a radically different experience from building a model they're refreshing. But that means I tend to end up with a lot of half-finished figures here and there, and this weekend I decided to finish three of them.

This is a nice figure. I generally prefer white metal to resin, and like most resin figures, I found some pinholes, and the pour stubs were sizable. But the figure is pretty nice; the beard detail and the chain mail texture are particularly good. It amuses me that there's a large and obvious thumb print in the resin; it's on the right side of the base in the second picture. I could submit it to Interpol and find out exactly who sculpted the base. But also, like most resin figures, it's very light and easy to handle, and less expensive than an equivalent white metal figure.

I left off the helmet visor. I wanted the base to resemble moss and mossy rocks; it's mostly painted Testors RLM-70 and RLM-02, of all things, with a few washes over the top (but to balance it out, his trousers were painted Testors RAF Dark Green, and his shoes and leggings were RAF Dark Earth before the washes and drybrushing set in). All the metalwork was painted black and then extensively drybrushed with silver and steel.

2 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

Looks really good. I suppose I should get more into figures myself one day. I have done a few, not as good as these though. I think it takes a different skill set.

William said...

I enjoy figures. You're right, they require different skills, but sometimes they're a refreshing break.

Eagle Editions (http://www.eagle-editions.com/preddyfigure.htm) offers a 1/32nd scale figure of USAAF pilot George Preddy. Mustangs aren't at the top of my "build list" but this figure impresses me so much I'd build the model just to justify the figure!