Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Getting Back To The Bench


I've been so busy lately I really haven't had a chance to build anything. About the only model-related thing I've done in the last week is spray some black paint on an Anigrand 1/72nd X-20 Dyna-Soar, but because I'd failed to clean the resin well enough, the paint promptly developed a bunch of nasty fish-eyes. Bad ones too - it looks like I rubbed the model with a slab of chicken fried steak. And who wants to see that mess? Certainly not I.

And meantime I've been busy getting ready for Christmas, and my wife's cousin was here visiting for a while... But in the words of the old guy in the Monty Python movie, "I'm not dead yet." So I decided to post an old photograph of the Monogram 1/48th "First Lunar Landing" while I go about the business of trying to remember what I was working on and where I put my super glue.

But first, I have to do something proactive about that X-20. I'm no psychic, but I foresee that I'll be getting the oven cleaner out of the cabinet in the near future.

3 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

Nice work on a great kit.
The only thing that bothered me about this kit is that they decided to engrave the shadow lines.

William said...

Those engraved shadows are a unfortunate. At first I thought it was a great idea, but it didn't take long for me to decide otherwise. The kit itself is the best real space model that I personally know of, but the base doesn't live up to the LM. It really deserves a new base. Someday.

Another thing I like about building Apollo hardware is that I get to eat lots of Rollo chocolates to get raw material for the gold foil - one of the few modeling activities that my wife wholeheartedly participates in!

-Warren Zoell said...

I know what you mean about the gold foil. A while back I did a scratch build of a 1/24 scale LEM. I swear I must have gone through a dozen Caramilk bars.