Friday, December 17, 2010

Olfaction


The picture's just there because I hate posting without a picture these days - what, just a big hunk of text??? That's what my other blog is for! (Verlinden 200mm bust, if you're curious.)

I just got home from a long day at work. I'm tired, and I had a splitting headache. But I just wanted to say this - I really love the smell of Bondo. In fact, I enjoy most of the smells associated with modeling. Not so much MEK or lacquer thinner, but the old Testors tube glue is pretty nice, and even better is the citrus scent of the non-toxic stuff (am I the only person who ever, however briefly, considering actually tasting the citrus-scented non-toxic glue?). And I have a few ancient Pactra enamels that I keep around, just so I can open them now and then and have a nice nostalgic sniff.

(Mind you, I'm not a tremendous fan of Bondo, I just like the way it smells. I find that I have trouble getting it to stick to plastic, and I only use it in cases where giant quantities of putty are required and a mass of Squadron white putty, my normal poison, would take about 38 years to dry. I bring this up because lately I'm converting an X-15A2 to an X-15A5, which involves adding a plug to the fuselage, which involves Bondo.)

And for those Nervous Nellies out there who are likely to accuse me of actually encouraging the deliberate concentration and inhalation of solvents, get over yourselves. Sometimes model glue is just model glue.

2 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

William's got the jones. LOL
I love the smell of Bondo, tube glue and old model paint myself. Those little square bottle Testors paints. They take me back to my childhood.
I tried that Testors Lime scented tube glue once. It was absolute garbage.

-Warren Zoell said...

Have yourself a great Merry Christmas William!!