Wednesday, January 12, 2011

X-Planes, Part Two

Monogram's 1/72nd scale X-15A2 posed next to Anigrand's X-20 "Dyna-Soar". I confess I always thought the X-20 was bigger than it apparently is. I also confess that I haven't installed the glass in the X-20's windows either - the Anigrand interpretation of the windows don't seem to match photographs or drawings, and I am torn on whether I should just accept them as they are, or drill and saw new window openings, or scratchbuild the heat shield sometimes seen in photos of the X-20.

Side view. Once again, the X-20 windows... The drawings I've seen show five windows; the Anigrand kit has three. Hmm. But having whined about the windows, I must say that the Anigrand kit is otherwise pretty nice. Like all resin kits, it had some pinholes, especially on the nose, and the wing-fuselage joint required some work, but the main thing is that it was fun. I also note, upon viewing the photos, that I put the "US Air Force" and star-and-bar insignia on in the wrong order. DOH! Well, maybe when I fix the windows, I'll fix THAT too.

Monogram's X-15A2. The kit is old enough to be considered venerable, but it's still a nice kit with a decent interior and a good ground-handling dolly (and even a standing figure in a Gemini-style astronaut suit. I sanded off the raised panel lines. I also sawed off the misshapen "ball nose" sensor, which I didn't think I could salvage with sanding, and replaced it with a hemispherical lump of shaped sprue.

There's something about the black X-15 with white markings that really appeals to me; it looks clean and crisp with just a little dash of color.

1 comment:

-Warren Zoell said...

It's that contrasteeeness between the light and dark colours that is always appealing.
Beautiful work as always.