Saturday, March 5, 2011

Yellow Wings




These are the Accurate Miniatures re-issues of the ancient 1/72nd scale Monogram F4B-4 and P-6E fighters. I remember these fondly from the dime store days, when stores like TG&Y still existed and where cheap models could occasionally be found. These were among my favorites at the time, surpassed perhaps only by the Monogram Messerschmitt Bf-110E.

They're still fun models. Detail is mostly raised and there is no cockpit detail at all, not even the instrument panels on the decal sheet like in the old days. But they're easy and fun to build. A novel feature is that the cabane struts are molded into the fuselage halves. I think I like that feature, though I'm not a biplane expert and will defer to those with more experience.

I'm not wild about the decals. I think the red meatballs in the pre-war US insignia is far too muted, so I replaced them with decals from my spares box. The wing chevron and fuselage for the F4B are printed in black, but I *think* they're supposed to be red. Reputable sources seem to disagree, so I went with the more colorful option and painted them myself. The decal sheet is also missing the thin red stripes for the P-6E's upper wing, which I cut out of an ancient decal sheet from the DS9 Runabout.

Otherwise, good clean fun and a nice addition to my growing collection of biplanes.

No comments: