Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ooops

This one amuses me. I didn't know that Challengers could float, or that they carried torpedoes, but there it is, proof on the model box, that Challengers are really Motor Torpedo Boats.


So Captain Rachel Garrett shows up at Starfleet HQ, and they tell her she's going to command the USS Enterpise.

"What an honor!" she says. "That ship is basically the flagship of Starfleet!"

"No, we meant the EnterPISE."

"Oh..."

I do feel bad about this one. The guy put in so much excellent work on the decals and he must have slapped his forehead many times when he saw he'd misspelled "Enterprise" on one of the main decals in the AMT 1/2500 Enterprise-C kit. I didn't even notice it myself until I was sitting and staring glumly at the model waiting for paint to dry. (And it isn't as though I never misspell words either, do I? DO I??)

As you can see, the Enterprise-C decals are basically workable, but are wrinkly around the phaser banks. I think when I build this kit again (and I will) I may just paint the blue portions as there's no real Aztec pattern in them and it wouldn't be THAT hard to mask and spray.

6 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

Bin dare dun dat. What is this insistence on raised panel lines?

William said...

I should have sanded them off. I DID sand them off the TOS Enterprise, but I should have sanded them off the others as they're really pretty heavy, especially on the C and D. Considering how cheap the kits are, I might mark these down as a "trial run" and do a better job with the next set.

-Warren Zoell said...

I note the moon bus kit to the left. Is that the original?

-Warren Zoell said...

Captain Kik
Captain Siko
Captain Picad
Captain Acher
Commodoe Dekke

William said...

I wish it WAS the original, but no, it's the recent re-issue. I thought it was kind of pricey, but price is no object when it comes to 2001 models.

William said...

Meantime, back on the Enterpise, Captain Picad and Commander Raker are meeting with Emperor Karless, who needs a lift to the grocery store because he ran out of gaH.