Thursday, February 3, 2011

Too Cold To Decal

An in-progress shot of the AMT 1/2500th Enterprise-D. I went outside this morning thinking I'd apply some decals, but it's about 35 degrees and I don't really feel like dipping my fingers (or decals) in ice water.

But here you can see the coverage and excellence of the decals that came with the AMT kit. Any errors in alignment are mine. The only thing that isn't a decal so far is the NATO black phaser bank, and as you can see, it needs some touch-up too. Oh, and the red and the yellow on the warp nacelles.

The kit looks very toy-like and simple as built, but the decals completely transform it. While I don't think the decals are as good as the ones in the AMT 3-Enterprises set, they're still pretty good, and one thing is for certain - when you get done applying all these decals, you'll be a whiz at decaling.

Note the Enterprise-C nacelles off to the side - though the decals are harsh and unforgiving, they can be made to work if you're patient.

4 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

What was the base color you used?

William said...

It was Testors Camouflage Grey from a spray can; I picked it mainly because it was light enough that the Aztec pattern would be visible, but not so light that the Aztec pattern would look like a checkerboard.

I was going to use light gull grey but it was so close to the colors in the decal.

-Warren Zoell said...

Camouflage grey is the way to go. It looks great. Thanks

William said...

I just bought the reissue of the USS Reliant today and note that they suggest light gull grey in the instructions, but I think I'm going to use camouflage grey again; I think that color is growing on me.