Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rommel's Rod



I do enjoy those goofy "concept" hot rod models from my youth - the Beer Wagon, the Tijuana Taxi, the Lil Stogie and so forth. This is Rommel's Rod, complete with undead skeletonized versions of the Desert Fox himself, along with his driver. Good clean fun, at least as long as you don't have an aversion to the undead.

About the only thing I did to the kit was saw notches in the edges of the one-piece track assemblies so they wouldn't look quite so toylike. I also left out the engine. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with a 1/25th scale supercharged straight-eight engine, but something will occur to me, I'm sure.

Then it was just a matter of Testors Afrika Mustard overall and RLM-02 in the interior.

2 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

Very nice indeed. Erwin would have been proud.

Anonymous said...

I just picked up this kit, i didn't know it had been re-released, thanks for telling me people.
Anyway, I carved up the tracks as well. Notched the sides, then cut grooves along the interior of the tracks, also cut out the hole in the bogie wheels so I wouldn't have to paint them. just started carving details on the tread itself.
Eh, the parts are big and they carve nice.
I like the blog, I'll be back.