Monday, October 17, 2011

Long Johns


Fig 1: Long John of the genus Monogrammus Nostalgicus Ressiue


Fig 2: Another view of the Long John

Fig 3: A Long John of the genus Pastrius Yummius Chocolatum

Dragster kits don't get much simpler than the Monogram reissue of the vintage Long John slingshot. It's all quite basic - the entire kit has fewer parts than just the blower on most modern Top Fuel dragsters. But it's still fun, and recalls those heady days of the late 1960s when models could sometimes be assembled with a hammer and nails. The main point of interest, probably, is the inclusion of really nice resin tires with press-in white sidewalls. They fit perfectly on the kit wheels and are much easier to sand flat than vinyl tires. A little Bare Metal Foil on the hub cabs (or are they "wheel covers" these days") is all they need.

As for the other Long John... I'm on a diet and can only gaze upon it longingly.


5 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

Wow!! this is nice. I've got to find me one of these.

-Warren Zoell said...

OH! Just to let you know Revell/Monogram have re released the Renwal 1/32 scale Atomic Cannon. I'm finishing mine up as we speak. It's a big model at around 3 feet and has good detail. Plus at around $60 it's a great buy.

William said...

I picked up my Atomic Cannon at the hobby shop today. Only $44 US... I was expecting a whole lot more, not that the price would have stopped me anyway. And it's in the running for the "Biggest Model Box I Ever Snuck Into The House Past The Wife" contest.

William said...

And all I REALLY went to the hobby shop for was some metalflake indigo paint for a dragster...

-Warren Zoell said...

LMAO!!