Thursday, October 6, 2011

Romans and Romulans, Oh My

54mm Aquilifer (eagle-bearer). I think the figure is by Soldiers, but I threw away the box ages ago, so I can't really verify that. I actually started painting this figure several years ago but found the pteruges too demanding. I set it aside pending better ideas, and eventually got back around to it. You can't really tell from this angle, but the face kind of resembles Tony Curtis. Don't let my ham-fisted painting dissuade you; this is an excellent figure. (Just for fun, I painted the vast majority of this figure using old-school Testors paints in the square glass bottles. Vallejo acrylics are apparently the choice of masters these days, and I guess the fact that I didn't choose them means that I'm not a master. I may also be a tightwad, since I happen to have lots of old-school Testors paints on hand and tend to adhere to the "use what I have" school of thought.)


AMT Romulan warbird, seen from the angle of greatest interest. It's an easy kit to build (I built most of it while watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind) and it's even easier to paint. The decals aren't bad, considering their size. Mine cracked in a few places and I patched them with orange paint that doesn't quite match the decal, but that's life.

I'm greatly heartened that Round 2 is re-releasing many old (and not so old) Star Trek kits. I think the next one will be the Klingon bird of prey.


3 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

Looks great - The Klingon bird of prey has been available now for quite awhile. With the rerelease it now comes with landing pads. I have to pick one up myself.

I wish they would rerelease the the old tricorder, communicator and phaser adventure set. That's the last of the old ones that hasn't been rereleased.

William said...

I have the re-release with the landing pads. Metal legs, which I thought was interesting. I'm now torn on whether to build with the gear down or not. Maybe that means I need to buy another one!

Have they reissued the old Galileo shuttlecraft yet? According to the flier I have, it says "coming soon", but who knows how long that flier has been around.

I wish they'd reissue the tricorder set too. The last time I built it, I couldn't buy regular cement and had to use the citrus non-toxic stuff, and it just didn't work. It's hard to fight Gorns when your phaser keeps falling off its handle.

-Warren Zoell said...

I heard that as well but I haven't seen anything yet. I'm surprised they're re releasing that kit. It is so inaccurate. Who knows they may fix it like they have done with the other Trek kits.
I hear the tricorder set has accuracy issues as well but in that case I don't care I just want something to blast me back to my childhood.
I remember that lime cement, that stuff was awful.