Friday, October 14, 2011

Ullah!



Pegasus 1/144th scale War of the Worlds diorama. It comes complete with two manta-style war machines, two M4A3E8 Shermans, and a blobby clear plastic piece for the Martian heat ray. The green portions of the war machines are also clear plastic, but I painted them - they're too thick to do the old paint-the-inside-of-them business, but Testors old-school "Sublime Green" goes on nice and smooth even with a brush.

This was actually a lot of fun to build, though it takes only a few minutes to build and you spent most of your time painting. It's made of ABS plastic, I believe, rather that styrene, but the ABS parts for the war machines are commendably smooth and polished. They're so smooth, in fact, that the war machines are difficult to hold on to; they kept shooting out of my fingers like watermelon seeds. I handed one to my wife, and she couldn't hold on to it either. Unfortunately, my first choice of paint, Krylon metallic copper, crazed the plastic considerably, and though I wet-sanded and polished it all smooth, I never got it as smooth as it was when it came out of the box. I ended up painting about six coats of Future floor wax on the completed war machines to try to make them look smooth and alien.

At first, the heat ray seems entirely unconvincing, but I kind of like it now. It has a seam that is impossible to remove, but after I painted it Testors "Mango" (a model car paint) and feathered in some Krylon fluorescent yellow and red, I came to rather like it.

The Shermans aren't half-bad for models that contain exactly four parts each. They could probably benefit from extra details, especially .50-caliber machine guns, but I find that I'm fresh out of 1/144th scale armor accessories. I added some white stars that I found in my decal box, but they turned out to be too small (they're white "kill markings" scavenged from old decals for, I believe, a Soviet La-5FN fighter).

The base is a one-piece ABS casting. The instructions say to paint the three supine guys on the base "white", and that puzzled me for a while. What, since when do Imperial Stormtroopers appear in War of the Worlds? Then I realized they're supposed to be victims of the heat ray, so it seemed logical that they should be surrounded by a charred spot. The script on the nameplate is very slightly raised. I painted the whole area Testors "Sublime Green" and then overcoated it with fragile craft store black flat acrylic, then rubbed the black off the high spots with a damp paper towel. It worked better than I had any right to expect.

Good fun all the way around! Ullah!

4 comments:

-Warren Zoell said...

I hated that album.

-Warren Zoell said...

Looks great by the way. I built the 1/48 war machine. A great deal considering the price.

William said...

I liked the cover painting, and there were a few good songs, but on the whole, I'm not a big fan of the album either. Years ago in FineScale Modeler some guy made a fabulous diorama based on the cover painting (scratchbuilt tripods, and a kitbashed HMS Thunder Child). I'd like to give that a go someday... Just as soon as Hell freezes over, most likely.

Anonymous said...

I have this kit stored away in my garage someplace. Too many moves over too short a time left my things stored but disorganized... "lost" but recoverable someday! (I hope.)

I actually tried something with those clear parts on the Martian war machines that made them look lit up, without actually lighting the model. I spray painted the inside of the parts with Testors lime green (well, in the case of the small 'wingtips,' I decanted some of the lime green spray paint into a bottle and hand-painted their insides). Afterward, I spray painted the outside of all those parts with Testors clear coat of translucent green. The effect worked very well!

I had a second set of this model, and I wanted to make a 'crashed' war machine from the end of the film (smashed into a modified N-scale railroad building). For the 'powered down' version, I left the insides of the clear parts clear and just sprayed the outsides with the translucent green.

It's actually a relatively simple effect that looks rather convincing for such a small-scale model. If I ever find mine (come springtime when I can actually sort things out), I'll try to get some pics.

Craig R